Sue Bedford Nutrition (MSc Nutritional Therapy)
Why not combine some apple with the sweet taste of parsnip to make a lovely warming Spicy Apple and Parsnip Soup.
Apples are great nutritionally as they provide lots of vitamin C to zap those free radicals. They contain high levels of Quercetin which acts an anti-inflammatory and are great for those watching their waistline too as they help to balance blood sugar levels. Parsnips also pack a vitamin C punch and contain a good amount of folate. All the more reason to make a batch or two as this powerful combination of nutrients certainly gives a boost to health!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 fresh chilli chopped (adjust amount to suit)
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 large apples, peeled and chopped
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 500ml milk of your choice
- Some chopped fresh oregano
- Seasoning to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan
- Cook the onion for 5 minutes until soft
- Add the parsnip, apple and chilli
- Add the stock and oregano
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes
- Add the milk
- Blend and return to the saucepan to reheat
- Season and enjoy!